Just Another Guy with Opinions

Girl Burned in Voodoo Ritual

Posted by shadmia on June 19, 2009

Voodoo ThingsVoodoo 2Voodoo

6-year-old Frantzcia Saintil will be scarred for life. She suffered second- and third-degree burns over 25% of her body, including her face, torso and legs. However, this was no accident. Frantzcia Saintil was the victim of a voodoo ritual perpetrated on her by her own mother, Marie Lauradin,29 and her grandmother, Sylvenie Thessier, 70.

Marie Lauradin, a Haitian immigrant was charged with assault and endangering the welfare of a child. She faces up to 25 years in prison if convicted. The grandmother, Sylvenie Thessier, was charged with reckless endangerment and endangering the welfare of a child. She faces up to seven years in prison if convicted.

According to reports, Marie Lauradin was determined to drive the evil spirits out of her daughter, so she solicited the help of her mother to perform a voodoo ritual known as Loa.

The two women made a ring of fire, using an accelerant (probably rum), on the floor. They then stripped the little girl naked and doused her with the same accelerant and forced her into the ring of fire. They watched while the little girl become engulfed in flames and allowed the screaming child to burn. They eventually put out the flames with cold water and then, instead of seeking medical assistance, put the suffering child to bed.

It wasn’t until the next evening that another relative found Frantzcia in bed and insisted on taking her to the hospital.

Lauradin allegedly told cops that she did not see any burns on her daughter until she was at the hospital.

Confronted by cops, Lauradin claimed she was boiling rice in a pot and accidentally spilled it on the girl when she was “startled.” She also said it was her mom’s idea to give Frantzcia a bath and put her to bed instead of taking her to the hospital.

Frantzcia was put in a medically induced coma as part of her treatment. She spent a total of 55 days in hospital recovering from her burns.

Queens District Attorney Richard Brown said “The child has suffered permanent scarring, both physically and emotionally.”

Frantzcia was placed in foster care after leaving the hospital. It wasn’t until she confided in her foster parent that the police found out what really happened to her. That was when her mother and grandmother were arrested.

Marie Lauradin listened impassively as the judge ordered her held in lieu of $50,000 bail. She was also barred from having any contact with her daughter.

“She denies these allegations,” lawyer Jeff Cohen said. “This is my client’s only child. My client would not hurt her.”

Bookmark and Share
Follow me on Twitter

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: